Sunday, May 15, 2011

Butternut Squash Soup

Ingredients:


1 food processor (yes, this is absolutely necessary.  I guess you could try a blender if you don't have one).
1 medium to large butternut squash
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese or Neufchatel cheese (if you want to be a little healthier)
6 tablespoons chopped onion

4 tablespoons margarine
1-3 cups chicken broth (this will depend on how big your squash is and how thick you prefer your soup)
1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper*

Directions:
1. Cut squash into pieces, place in a large pot and steam for 20 minutes or until tender (you should be able to stick a fork all the way through the pieces and have them practically fall apart).  Remove the skin (I do this using a spoon--I just scoop out the inside and pitch the skin).

2. In food processor, blend together squash and cream cheese.  I usually have to do this in two batches to fit all the squash.

2. Meanwhile, in a large pot, saute onions in margarine until tender. Add squash/cream cheese mix. Add chicken broth until the soup is as thick or thin as you'd like it.  Add marjoram, salt, and peppers.  Cook until heated through--serve with sourdough bread.

*The cayenne pepper gives it a bit of a kick.  I love it, Jon hates it.  So I leave it out and just put it in my bowl.  The soup tastes great either way.

No comments: