Saturday, December 6, 2008

General Tso's Chicken

(credit to Kellie)

INGREDIENTS
Sauce:
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/8 cup water
3 cloves minced garlic
1/4 teaspoon dry ginger
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/8 cup white vinegar
1/8 cup cooking wine (you can use apple or white grape juice instead)
1 cup chicken broth

Meat:
3 large chicken breasts, cut into chunks ( I usually use less than this, but I’m cooking for two)
1/8 cup soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 egg
1/2 cup cornstarch

vegetable oil for deep frying
2 green onions, sliced
8 small dried hot peppers, chopped (I use arbol peppers and I remove the seeds first)

DIRECTIONS
For sauce, mix 1/4 cup cornstarch with water. Add garlic, ginger, sugar, 1/3 cup soy sauce, vinegar, wine, chicken broth. Stir until sugar dissolves. Refrigerate until needed.

In separate bowl, mix chicken, soy sauce, pepper. Stir in egg. Add cornstarch and mix until chicken pieces are coated evenly. Add a few Tbsp. of vegetable oil to help separate chicken pieces. Divide chicken into small quantities and drop into deep fry at 350 degrees until crispy (This usually works best if you drop the chicken directly into the oil. If you set in on the strainer the chicken tends to stick to it). Drain on paper towels.

Place a small amount of oil in wok and heat until wok is hot. Add onions and peppers and stir fry briefly. Stir sauce and add to wok. Place chicken in sauce and cook until sauce thickens. Serve with fried rice.

**NOTE: I would recommend not chomping down on one of the peppers--they're stinking hot. Our friend who puts chili sauce on EVERY MEAL couldn't eat more than one.

No comments: